European Commission consults on social package and minimum wage
The initiatives mentioned cover a wide scope, including economic, industrial and SME policies. On the more social side, several initiatives address skills (e.g. Skills Agenda for Europe, Digital Education Action Plan) and labour challenges (e.g. minimum wage, platform workers).
However, it is noticeable that the proposals concerning health and safety aspects are rather weak.
Together with this Communication, the European Commission launched the 1st consultation phase of social partners on the introduction of a specific initiative on minimum wage in the EU (open until 25th February). We will come back to it at a later stage.
Sustainable Europe Investment Plan
- It aims at mobilising € 1 trillion of private and public sustainable investments over the upcoming decade. This figure has to be looked at carefully. The amounts depend on the future EU budget and related financing schemes upon which a decision has not been taken so far.
- The Commission envisages creating tools to properly identify sustainable investments. The EU taxonomy is the major reference in this regard.
- The Commission wants to develop initiatives in order to tailor support to public administrations in identifying, structuring and executing sustainable projects. Of interest for the construction industry are the potential greening of public procurement as well as the revision of State Aid guidelines that address energy efficiency of buildings and the circular economy.
Construction 4.0 by Contech
Israel has become a global centre for technology and innovation in the construction arena, growing faster and faster every year.
During The Industry 4.0 innovation week, one-full-day is designated to Construction Technologies and innovation, led by ConTech.
The ConTech ecosystem includes startups, companies from all sectors of the construction industry, contractors, software companies, regulatory bodies, policy makers and investors.
Contech activities are aimed at growing the construction tech startup ecosystem, while facilitating business connections between startups and industry players in Israel and abroad.
On 26th February, the Construction Tech global community will meet to engage with leading startups, hear insights from keynote speakers, take part in B2B meetings, participate in designated roundtables focusing on major challenges of the industry, attend a panel discussion and celebrate in a cocktail event.
SKILLgAPP brings training on your smartphone
One of the main outcomes of the SKILLCO project (www.skillco.eu), co-financed by the Erasmus+ programme, is an app specifically developed for teachers in VET (Vocational Education and Training) centres and for students/workers in construction.
It brings training on your smartphone, in 4 areas in which skills gaps have been identified.
It is available for free for both Android and iOS phones and can be downloaded by clicking on the button below.
Global ABC Status Report published
- “Big step-up in ambition needed to put buildings and construction on track to meet Paris Agreement Goals
- Buildings and construction generate nearly 40% of CO2 emissions, yet action continues to lag far behind opportunity
- With a window opening for enhanced Paris agreement plans, the sector will be key to unlocking higher climate action.” *